Now that Valentine’s Day is a few weeks away, let’s talk about why do roses cost more on that lovely day.
The simple answer to this is supply and demand. Everybody wants roses!
But here is a little more, if you are interested. As our friends at Daley’s Florist & Country Expressions in US mentioned:
- Growers need to pinch back their crops in order to time them to be ready for mid February. This leads to a period of lost production and income for the grower, which they recover by upping the price of the next crop.
- The amount of labour to harvest all these roses triples for the Valentine’s Day crop. These extra labour charges are also passed along.
- The short days and cold temperatures, (yes even in South America) add to the energy costs needed to produce premium blooms.
- Transportation costs also increase. Most of the roses used today in North America are imported from Ecuador and Columbia. There is such a high demand for the holiday that there is often not enough time to wait for a cargo planes to return empty to pick up the next shipment of roses. The additional freight needed to move all these blooms is reflected in the price.
We all want the BEST! Majority of floral shops are ordering their roses a month or more ahead of time. We know the variety and grower who has the best performing flowers and we are all basically bidding on them to make sure we can offer the best quality.
Here in Canada things can be a bit different, it all depends on the weather conditions. We always have to keep in mind that we may end up with no flower delivery, do to bad weather. It almost happened last year. A big snow storm closed the roads in Ontario, a lot of flights were cancelled, and a lot of shipments were delayed. We are working with perishable goods, the flowers can’t be stored more then a few days in advance, so the flower shops can’t stock up a week or two prior to the event. So fingers crossed and let’s hope this year we will have a nice sunny calm week before Valentine’s Day.
What you as a consumer can do to get the most for your money, when you order flowers for the most romantic day of the year:
- Order Early!
- Send a mixed arrangement that includes a few roses.
- Take good care of your investment, change the water and recut the stems every couple days.
Plan ahead Ladies and Gentlemen and enjoy this special day.